Sunday, April 5, 2009

It's gardening time!

I worked on the "garden" some more today. Our garden is actually a very long, narrow flower bed that sits along-side the driveway. Last year I had the hubby dig it all out, and I added a mix of compost and really rich soil. This garden space is the sunniest spot we have. The furthest part definitely doesn't get full sun, but I'm trying anyway! My mostly failure garden last year had nothing to do with lack of nutrients! (Unless you count the lack of full sun...) I'm convinced if I try hard enough I can make it produce.

The veggie seedlings I bought Friday made it into the ground. I know I should have hardened them off some more, but I'm hoping they'll be okay. This is the first time I've tried to used lettuce seedlings, and now I know why you direct seed. Their roots are too fragile, and lots of them broke. Hopefully they'll make it okay.

Half my snow pea seeds have sprouted, so I threw a few more seeds down to fill in. I'd like to get 8 vines going, since the season is so short for them. I also put 4 bush bean seeds down. It may be a little early for them, but we'll see. Those plants really out performed the pole beans last year. I dropped in a few cilantro seeds - the seedling I planted looks great, but I'd like to extend the season. The farmer I bought the plant from said the leaves will freeze well.

Ready for use already is:
  • Rosemary
  • Green garlic (I never harvested my garlic from last year, it shot up and is growing like crazy! I may leave it in for awhile to see if it'll form full bulbs this year.)
  • Chives.... so many chives
  • Tarragon
  • Cilantro
Also growing in the garden:
  • Snow peas
  • Bush beans
  • Lettuce
  • Mesclun lettuce mix
  • Strawberries
  • Curly parsley
  • Italian parsley
  • Brussel sprouts
  • Broccoli
  • Thyme
  • Oregano
  • Spinach
I still have some space left, though I haven't decided what else to put in. I figure I'll put a tomato plant in there, and definitely lots of basil. Not sure what else though!

We had a late breakfast of toast (not local, and not organic, but whole wheat) and eggs from the Amish Market. I added some chives into hubby's. He was a big fan!

Now to figure out dinner!

No comments: