Friday, February 19, 2010

Thinking of spring...

It's a little hard to do, considering this area is still covered with much of the 40" of snow we got a little over a week ago (Biggest Storm in Recorded History!), but it does seem like that time of year. I'm seeing people breaking out the seed catalogs and making their gardening plans. I will give it another shot this year, despite my lack of space and the bigger challenge, full sunlight... but my main focus will be working over at my CSA. They put a call out for volunteers, starting in the greenhouse, and I'm planning to join them. It should be a really fun way to learn more about sustainable, organic farming. Even if it is on a scale much larger than I would ever want!

In the meantime, I am still dreaming about having chickens. I'm know it's not not sure if it's legal, but I'm considering giving it a shot this year. I got a great book about raising them for Christmas (thanks, mom!) and I'm thinking about plunging in. There's so much to consider - do I start them from chicks? what if I end up with a rooster? where will they live? But, really, it sounds like a pretty fun adventure to me. (It does not, however, to Jay... but he's reluctantly willing to play along.)

I'm also planning to get our composting plan set up. It's funny, these two projects... If I manage the chicken plan, I won't need much in the way of composting - my flock will be happy for any scraps. But, I think I'll give it a go. And just to make sure I'm not doing anything in a 'normal' way, I'm thinking about worm composting!

Another plan to keep my county-life seeking brain busy, I've started horseback riding lessons. I'm trying to drink up as much of the outside, natural life as possible! My first horse was a serious jerk challenge though, so I'm looking forward to meeting my new horse this weekend.

It's not quite the small farm I'd like, but it's certainly making the most of what I can do now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to see pictures of the horseback riding. Sounds fun!

Lisa Adams Reed said...

If I haven't told you lately...you have the most fun and compelling way of writing! You have so much to say and a way of saying it that charms me! Keep doing your thing, never be ordinary and don't stop writing about it!

Heather said...

Thanks, Lis!! Have you seen Tiffany's blog? So much Tiffany goodness there! Link from her comment above :)